Two wheels are better than four, at times!
Bicycling in Portland provides a range of benefits, including improved health, sustainability, cost savings, convenience, community engagement, and a better quality of life for individuals and the city as a whole. LawnStarter posted a blog in celebration of World Bicycle Day on June 3rd listing the top cities for riding your bicycle, and Portland came in 3rd place!
The blog “compared the 200 biggest U.S. cities based on 27 key indicators of a cyclist-friendly lifestyle, such as access to bike trails and bike rentals, the share of bike commuters, the presence of cycling clubs, and the number of bike races and tours.”
Here are some of the key benefits of bicycling throughout Portland:
- Health and Fitness: Bicycling is an excellent form of exercise that helps improve cardiovascular health, build muscle strength, and enhance overall fitness. Regular cycling can help reduce the risk of obesity, heart disease, and other chronic illnesses.
- Sustainable Transportation: Portland is known for its commitment to sustainability and reducing carbon emissions. Bicycling is a clean and green mode of transportation that produces no air pollution and helps alleviate traffic congestion. By choosing to bike instead of driving, individuals contribute to a cleaner environment and help combat climate change.
- Cost Savings: Bicycling is a cost-effective means of transportation. Compared to owning a car or relying on public transportation, cycling can save individuals money on fuel, parking fees, and public transit fares. Bicycles have relatively low maintenance costs and can be a more affordable option for commuting or running errands.
- Accessibility and Convenience: Portland has an extensive network of bike lanes, dedicated paths, and bike-friendly infrastructure, making it easier and safer for cyclists to navigate the city. Bicycles provide a convenient mode of transportation for short to medium distances, allowing riders to avoid traffic congestion and explore various neighborhoods.
- Improved Mental Well-being: Cycling offers mental health benefits, such as reducing stress, anxiety, and depression. Being physically active outdoors, enjoying the natural beauty of Portland’s parks and scenic routes, can boost mood and promote a sense of well-being.
- Community Engagement: Bicycling promotes social connections and community engagement. Portland has a vibrant cycling culture with numerous cycling events, group rides, and advocacy organizations. Participating in these activities allows cyclists to meet like-minded individuals, share experiences, and contribute to the cycling community.
- Reduced Noise Pollution: Compared to motorized vehicles, bicycles generate minimal noise pollution. By choosing to ride a bike instead of driving a car, cyclists help create quieter and more peaceful neighborhoods.
- Enhanced Safety and Awareness: As more people choose to cycle, there is an increased focus on road safety and awareness among all road users. This leads to improved infrastructure, better driver education, and increased attention to cyclists’ needs, resulting in safer conditions for all road users.
- Tourist Attractions: Portland’s scenic beauty, including parks, rivers, and bridges, can be fully appreciated while bicycling. Many popular tourist destinations, such as the Springwater Corridor, Waterfront Park, and the Willamette River Greenway, are easily accessible by bike, allowing locals and visitors to explore and experience the city from a unique perspective.
These are just a few of the benefits of bicycling throughout Portland. By embracing cycling as a mode of transportation and recreation, the city can promote healthier lifestyles, a cleaner environment, and more sustainable urban development.
To read the full article by Sav Maive, click here.